Sunday, July 15, 2007

Moods

When I title my post "moods" I am not referring to the condom manufacturer, just in case you were wondering. Now why did I choose this title and what am I writing? Read on and you will know.

Today I am in a mood to write. So? Well I am in a mood to write. Isn't it kinda exciting? I am in a mood to write! Now I contemplate. Why am I in a mood to write? Why was I not in a mood to write earlier? Why not yesterday or the day before that? Why today? Well I can't answer that one but I can certainly say that I am in a mood to write. Now as I am wondering about this, I feel like looking up the meaning of "mood" in dictionary, it also served as a refresher as I seemed to have forgotten what it means, considering peoples' moods to do different things like shower, shave and even eat and sleep for instance. I mean how can you wait for the mood to eat? Isn't it called hunger? Or is hunger the urge to eat and the mood to eat is a warning that you will be hungry soon? Anyways, the dictionary says that mood means a state or quality of feeling at a particular time.

Hmm alright! State or quality of mind at a particular time. I see three variables here, makes the equation all the more difficult. Lets understand the variables that are state, quality and time. Simplifies things to an extent. Now the only reason I am drawing you into this discussion and wasting your time is because I am in the mood to write and I want you to read my rantings and ramblings. Does it sound like a desperate call for attention, for recognition? It does sound like a soul wanting to unleash itself, break out of this cucoon of relative anonymity, conquer the world and make a name for itself. Thats too much of an ask. Right now I am in the mood to delete this post of meaningless but grammatically correct string of words. But I won't.

Now coming back to the three variables; state, quality and time.

By understanding "state" I answer the question "how is it?".
By understanding "quality" I answer the question "how intense is it?".
By understanding "time" I answer the question "for how long has it been like this?".


Let's see if this holds good for hunger.

State : I am hungry.

Quality:
  • I am very hungry.
  • I am not so hungry.
Time:
  • I am feeling hungry for the last 3-4 hrs.
  • I am only starting to feel hungry.

Something else I notice here is quality and time are proportional. Quality increases with time. The longer you go hungry, the intense your hunger. Anyways since I am not in the mood to try any more examples, I can safely say that the longer you stay away from doing something, the greater you will want to do it. No wonder people are in no mood to go to office, no mood to drive, no mood to work etc etc.

Ok that was a tiring effort and now I am in the mood to eat... or am I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home